What is psyllium husk powder and why should I add it to my recipes?
Psyllium is a form of fiber which is a prebiotic made from the husks of the Plantago ovata plant’s seeds. Now you ask well what is a prebiotic? It is a substance needed for healthy colonies of probiotics (the good bugs) to grow in the gut), it is essentially their food source to stay alive and flourish in your gut. A healthy colony of good bacteria in the digestive system is essential for healthy immune function as well science is finding out the gut plays a huge role in our weight and our brain health too. Your body is better able to fight infection, reduce inflammation, and maintain healthy tissue and cells.
At a glance, psyllium can be helpful in:
- Helping heart health by lowering your lipid profile and reducing inflammation
- Softening stool to lessen symptoms of constipation
- Keep you more regular
- Absorbs water to help you feel fuller longer (so you consume less food)
- Boosts gut health
- Keeps blood sugar more steady – good for diabetics and those trying to lose weight
Tip: Slowly add psyllium to your daily routine. 1 Tbsp is about 5 grams of fiber (4 of those grams being soluble). Start with there and slowly increase to see how you personally respond. A simple way to add 5-10g of this fiber would be in a smoothie this the recipe below:
Chocolate Good Belly Smoothie:
- ½ – 3/4 cup unsweet vanilla almond milk
- 1-2 Tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1-2 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1 scoop MCT oil Powder
- 1 scoop low carb whey, egg white or plant based protein powder, chocolate flavored
- 3-4 Ice cubes (to desired thickness)
Hi! I'm Briana Michel and for 7 years now I have used my background in integrated nutrition and fitness training to create the coolest and most emotionally rewarding job! I am the walking *asterisk you see on many TV commercials aired around the globe! You know the one that says “Results not typical.” But in my world, the results are TYPICAL!
Supercharge your health with my free guide Use The Fat To Lose The Fat and learn about body transformation opportunities and tips!
*Some of my suggestions may contain affiliate links. I only recommend things that I am using and I hope you'll enjoy them too. As always feel free to purchase your items without using my links.