I am always experimenting with lower carb and gluten free recipes in line with my lifestyle and what I teach in my online nutrition program, F…The Diet. I wanted to make a bagel that was simple and could be great with just butter or cream cheese or also be made into an open face sandwich. This would cover a filling breakfast or quick lunch need!
I can’t tell you the last time I had a “real” bagel, but I do miss them at times. I love bread (you too?) items, but gluten does a number on my mouth (canker sores!) and the spike in insulin gives me a headache, so I bake alternatives at home. (Stay tuned for my Gut Life Project to help you repair from gut issues. You won’t believe how far reaching the effects of gut health are!)
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It is a Fat Head keto dough recipe, but made with unblanched almond flour so it looks like a hearty wheat and has a a nuttier flavor.
Once you have a batch of these made it is easy to turn them into a variety of tasty sandwiches. Here are some ideas:
- Scrambled Egg & Cheese
- Turkey with melted cheese & red pepper flakes
- Tuna (real mayo, diced onion and celery) & sliced pickles or cheese
- Ham & cheese
- Guacamole smash (avocado, sea salt, black pepper, diced onion, green pepper and tomato)
- Nut butter & organic jelly (just a smidge or a honey drizzle)
CLICK HERE FOR CHEESY KETO ROLL VARIATION OF THIS RECIPE!
- 1½ cups full fat organic mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp organic cream cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1¼ unblanched almond flour (if you use blanched it will be less nutty tasting and lighter in color - more appropriate for a pizza dough or white bagel.
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (DONT FORGET THIS)
- any seasonings or spices you desire - or leave plain
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a glass bowl add cream cheese and cheese and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and work the cheese and cream cheese together very well. I find spraying my hands and spoon with non- stick spray helps to keep the dough from sticking to you. You may need to add it back into the microwave for a few more seconds. In a separate bowl mix almond flour and baking powder. Mix in the almond flour and knead until it is well combined. Pull out chunks of dough to roll into logs and work into the shape of a bagel. This dough should make 5-6 small-medium bagels. Bake for 10-12 minutes
Hi! I'm Briana Michel and for 7 years now I have used my background in integrated nutrition and fitness training to create the coolest and most emotionally rewarding job! I am the walking *asterisk you see on many TV commercials aired around the globe! You know the one that says “Results not typical.” But in my world, the results are TYPICAL!
Supercharge your health with my free guide Use The Fat To Lose The Fat and learn about body transformation opportunities and tips!
*Some of my suggestions may contain affiliate links. I only recommend things that I am using and I hope you'll enjoy them too. As always feel free to purchase your items without using my links.