Most of my clients crave or miss pizza when trying to lose body fat, so I am very happy to present a dough recipe that actually takes on good crust flavor and texture, that is high in fiber and a sports a good dose of protein and nourishing, satiating fats.
If you are steering clear of dairy though I am sorry to say this isnt the recipe for you. But if you are trying to find alternatives to grains and gluten this is a home run! The “dough” was quick and easy to form and if you work with wet hands you won’t end up wearing most of it ;) We customized our toppings for each family member; broccoli and pesto for me, pepperoni, pesto and hot sauce for my hubby and just cheese for my daughter, after cooking the dough for about 8 minutes I added tomato sauce, cheese and then our preferred toppings and cooked for about another 12 minutes.
What I learned:
Don’t add so much stinkin pesto! Wait til the end to add a light pesto drizzle, so the oils don’t grease up the whole pizza.
Go a bit easier on the cheese, again to avoid an oil avalanche.
Let pizza cool a few minutes before cutting so the crust hardens a bit more.
Leave a wider rim if you love “crust”. It has great taste and texture so i would personally want a wider crust.
- (For a large crust use these portions, otherwise cut the portions in half for a medium pizza)
- 3 cups shredded organic mozzarella
- 1½ cup almond flour, blanched
- 4 tablespoons of organic cream cheese, cubed
- 2 eggs
- Garlic powder, onion powder, and mixed Italian herbs for seasoning. (I used one with oregano and garlic)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In glass bowl melt mozz and cream cheese (about a minute in the microwave, then stir and add another 20-30 seconds if not melted yet). Mix well and add in almond flour and seasonings. Add in eggs and form dough with wet hands. Parchment paper is ideal to roll out the dough on (layer of parcent under the dough and another sheet on top), I was out of parchment when I attempted this the first time so this dough was simply put on a sprayed cookie sheet and formed with my hands. Place crust in oven and cook for about 8 minutes to firm up. Remove from oven, add toppings then cook again until golden and cheese is melted- about 12-15 minutes. Watch closely around the 10 minute mark. Let cool a bit to ensure crust is firm.
I cant take credit for the dough recipe it is known as Fathead Dough and has become something of an internet recipe sensation so I just had to give it a whirl. Two thumbs up and will be playing around with more variations soon. Hope you like it to! Post a pic on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #fthediet to share your creation with our community!
Hi! I'm Briana Michel and for 7 years now I have used my background in integrated nutrition and fitness training to create the coolest and most emotionally rewarding job! I am the walking *asterisk you see on many TV commercials aired around the globe! You know the one that says “Results not typical.” But in my world, the results are TYPICAL!
Supercharge your health with my free guide Use The Fat To Lose The Fat and learn about body transformation opportunities and tips!
*Some of my suggestions may contain affiliate links. I only recommend things that I am using and I hope you'll enjoy them too. As always feel free to purchase your items without using my links.