This is my favorite way to make low carb, gluten and grain free bread!
SIMPLE. DELICIOUS. WARM & GOOEY.
It is quick to make and tastes doughy and delicious when warm! Even my husband who HATES to eat loves these and can put a few down in one sitting. He loves that they are packed with nutrients (2 of them boast almost 36g of protein!). He is a muscular man and it is a struggle for him to get enough protein, fat and calories in everyday, so these have been a huge help.
Per Roll Macronutrients :
Fat: 26.6 g
Protein: 17.6 g
Carbs: 4 net carbs
Don’t fear the calorie and fat content, if you are on a low carb nutrition program these are a nourishing way to go. People who are sugar junkies and living the high carb roller coaster fear calories and don’t appreciate that it is what a food does once in your body that matters, not just some arbitrary calorie count.
A 400 calorie fat and protein item with little no no blood sugar impact won’t make you gain body fat the way 400 calories of refined carbs will. I will get more into this on another blog. For now…
Eat the fat and enjoy these slightly addicting rolls!
- 1½ cups full fat organic mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (maybe less) shredded mixed cheese (I used a Mexican blend) for the tops of the dough balls
- 2 Tbsp organic cream cheese
- 1 whole egg
- 1¼ unblanched almond flour (if you use blanched it will be less nutty tasting and lighter in color - more appropriate for a pizza dough or white bagel.
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (DONT FORGET THIS)
- any seasonings or spices you desire - or leave plain
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a glass bowl add cream cheese and mozzarella cheese and microwave for 1 minute. Either hand stir and work the cheese and cream cheese together very well - I find it easier to put it in a stand up mixer. If hand mixing, I find spraying my hands and spoon with non-stick spray helps to keep the dough from sticking to you. You may need to add it back into the microwave for a few more seconds if it isn;t melted enough to combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl mix almond flour, baking powder and egg. Add this mixture to your melted cheeses. Mix in the almond flour and knead (or mix on medium in your stand up mixer) until it is well combined. Pull out even sized chunks of dough to roll into dough balls. Press shredded mixed cheese into the tops of each dough ball. This dough should make 6 medium rolls. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Golden on the outside, slightly underdone in the middle, but a knife can come out clean.
Hi! I'm Briana Michel and for 7 years now I have used my background in integrated nutrition and fitness training to create the coolest and most emotionally rewarding job! I am the walking *asterisk you see on many TV commercials aired around the globe! You know the one that says “Results not typical.” But in my world, the results are TYPICAL!
Supercharge your health with my free guide Use The Fat To Lose The Fat and learn about body transformation opportunities and tips!
*Some of my suggestions may contain affiliate links. I only recommend things that I am using and I hope you'll enjoy them too. As always feel free to purchase your items without using my links.